Belize mulls decriminalizing ganja
(Caribbean Journal): Belize’s Ministry of National Security has appointed a committee to evaluate and make proposals for the decriminalization of small portions of marijuana. The move, which was announced this week, was driven by “increasing evidence that the current legislation clutters the courts and the prison with primarily a marginalized segment of our population,” the government said in a statement. The committee said that it recognized that the proposal was “a sensitive issue,” and encouraged interested groups and individuals to express their views on the matter. Belize’s current laws treat the possession of under 60 grams of marijuana as a criminal offence, punishable by a fine of up to $50,000 and/or up to three years imprisonment.
The decriminalization proposal would involve up to 10 grams of marijuana, which would then be subject to fines, mandatory drug education and no imprisonment. Also proposed would be the provision that no criminal record would be kept in the first instance, and portions of the penalty be reserved for drug education.
The committee emphasized that the proposal was “not to legalize the offence, thereby purging it of all its penalties,” however.
“It is merely to reduce and regulate,” the committee said. “This is further supported by international trends towards decriminalization.”
- On Sales : Samsung Galaxy SIV / Apple iPhone 5 64GB
- Sales On: Apple iPhone 5 32GB, Samsung I9300 Galaxy S III / Galaxy S4 Buy 2 get 1 free
- Affordable South Side Home for Sale
- house for rent
- car for sale
- Samsung Galaxy S4 19500 16GB Unlocked
- **Botanical Slimming MSV - Strong Version***
- South Side Beach House for Sale
- 3.05 acres of Bluff land
- Large Spot Bay beach lot
The comments posted do not necessarily reflect the views of CNS or any individual staff member. All comments are posted subject to approval by CNS. Read more
- There need to be good prison
4 hours 5 min ago
- Mckeeva fixed 'em all good!
4 hours 11 min ago
- Wow , Look at the Social
4 hours 18 min ago
- No joke, it's the truth, not
4 hours 19 min ago
- Lets no forget the eventual
4 hours 33 min ago
- Except as a direct result of
4 hours 39 min ago
- GO PPM!
4 hours 52 min ago
- Based on recent articles even
4 hours 58 min ago
- 16:11, I read the report and
5 hours 5 min ago
- Sorry 16:10, I read this
6 hours 18 min ago