Local dengue transmissions slow down
(CNS): With only two new suspected cases reported to authorities this week and all four of the latest test results received by the authorities turning out to be negative the transmission of dengue fever locally maybe slowing down. Public health officials said Thursday that two new cases are now under investigation for dengue during the week of February 3-9. Meanwhile, four results were received during this week from the Caribbean Public Health Agency and all were negative for dengue. These results are included in the 33 cases which have been investigated so far this year, officials added in the latest update on local infections.
The onset of the last confirmed case was on January 18, officials added. However, two more cases are under investigation and one person was admitted to hospital for treatment.
Neither of the latest two patients have a travel history to an endemic area. One is a resident of George Town and the other lives in West Bay.
Since the beginning of 2012 127 cases of suspected dengue have been investigated. Of those 109 results have been received forty of which were positive. 65 cases were negative with four case remaining inconclusive and 18 results pending.
From the 40 confirmed cases only twelve patients reported travel history to endemic countries so 28 people had acquired the dengue locally, 24 of which were from West Bay, while the remaining four were from George Town and Bodden Town.
In total since the start of 2012 30 people have been hospitalized suspected of having dengue and treated for the disease which is transmitted by mosquitoes.
- Condo for rent
- George Town Landfill to close early
- Grand Court Juror Report Date Changed
- Government Schools Begin Registration
- Church Street Closed to All Vehicular Traffic
- On Sales : Samsung Galaxy SIV / Apple iPhone 5 64GB
- Sales On: Apple iPhone 5 32GB, Samsung I9300 Galaxy S III / Galaxy S4 Buy 2 get 1 free
- Affordable South Side Home for Sale
- house for rent
- car for sale
The comments posted do not necessarily reflect the views of CNS or any individual staff member. All comments are posted subject to approval by CNS. Read more
- I have to go to bed now, but
6 hours 28 min ago
- They care not a whit for the
7 hours 2 min ago
- That is the eternal problem
7 hours 6 min ago
- The reason why West Bayers
7 hours 8 min ago
- It doesn't look like Mac is
7 hours 14 min ago
- Not the brightest bunch are
7 hours 18 min ago
- That's my boy!!
7 hours 35 min ago
- cannot believe the amateur
8 hours 48 sec ago
- Didn't learn a thing.......
8 hours 8 min ago
- This seemed like a
8 hours 36 min ago