Mac: Allegations baseless
(CNS): The premier has said that all of the allegations being made against him are baseless and that he will be taking action to restore his legal rights if he does not get a clear indication from the governor or the police commissioner soon that the investigations involving him have been concluded. McKeeva Bush said the two new investigations were as meritless as the first and, referring to the illegal shipment of explosives, he said the police commissioner had said it was a matter of not filing the right papers. “Well, what is that?” he asked rhetorically before acknowledging his involvement. “I am the minister of finance and it comes to me and I try to help someone,” he stated during Cayman 27’s "The Panel" on Tuesday.
Bush said the investigations were not just about destroying him as he had first suspected but they were also about destroying the Cayman Islands, and he reiterated his position that he has never been notified properly about any investigation into him.
“I have never received any formal notices relating to the investigations and I regard it as a political matter and it is clear to me that the opposition have a lot more information on the matter than I do. They are constantly on the radio making outrageous statements instead of trying to encourage investment … I have done nothing illegal,” Bush said on the local TV talk show, adding that he continued to serve the people and was doing his best to grow the economy and get people back to work.
“I look forward to a clear indication from the governor and the commissioner of police that whatever they are looking at, investigating, taking about or whatever they are doing ... a fishing expedition or whatever, has been completed. If that is not forthcoming shortly, action will be taken to restore my legal rights, which have been trampled upon with scant regard to the rule of law,” the premier said.
As a result of advice from his attorneys, Bush said, he had chosen not to say anything about the police investigation on the “real estate transaction involving someone else”, which had started over two years ago. This, the premier said, was to give the police time to investigate fairly properly and without bias. “I knew on conclusion of that investigation I would be exonerated as there is no illegalities on my part whatsoever,” he added.
Bush did not seek to explain the letter that has been circulating in the public domain since last June, which raises a number of questions. He still did not say what the real estate transaction was or what service Windsor Development, a company of which he was a director at the time, had undertaken for a fee of more than $350,000.
Claiming there was nothing illegal involved, the premier dismissed the other two probes as well, also describing them as “fishing expeditions”.
“In light of the two new investigations, announced publicly by the governor last week without any notification to me, and the fact that over two years has passed and there is still no closure to the initial matter, is evident that these so-called investigations are nothing more than fishing expeditions,” Bush stated.
The premier said he believed he was the subject of what he described as meritless allegations because he had stood in the way of the Foreign Office on a lot of matters -- “far more than the opposition would ever dare,” he added.
Bush said again that he would not step down from his position as premier because the allegations were baseless and what was there to stop it happening to anyone else who became premier if the FCO didn’t like them.
“Where does it stop? I am not guilty of anything. I haven’t done anything illegal other than to stand up to the powers that be over the years. They cannot drive me where they want to drive me and are prepared to do whatever they can to embarrass me,” Bush said. “I am not talked to, I am not charged with anything, I am not cautioned by anyone, so I am not stepping down or resigning because the PPM want the position.”
In the face of the opposition’s lack of confidence motion, Bush said that when he was ready he would deal with it but that they should not be filing no confidence motions against him when there were no charges or substance to the allegations. He said the opposition, the governor and the FCO were all after the same thing, which was “to get McKeeva out because they can’t control him”, and went on to list a number of occasions when he had clashed with the British government.
- Scholarship Fundraiser
- Great Priced North Coast Sandy Beach Lot for Sale
- Original brand new apple iphone 5 64gb,32gb,16gb,Samsung Galaxy S3,S4
- Beautiful Cayaman Style Home
- for sale: samsung galaxy s4, apple iphone 5
- 2004 HONDA FIT
- 2004 HONDA FIT
- Walkers Rd condo for Rent - Poincianas
- Pups for sale
- SHORT TERM RENTAL
The comments posted do not necessarily reflect the views of CNS or any individual staff member. All comments are posted subject to approval by CNS. Read more
- Umm ... hello?
12 min 34 sec ago
- Roy's statement, although
14 min 57 sec ago
- 5:40 I bet you could not name
15 min 8 sec ago
- Wow such short memories.
23 min 38 sec ago
- I would like to nominate Joey
34 min 7 sec ago
- The simplest and most logical
35 min 15 sec ago
- Because it makes sense. Not
50 min 23 sec ago
- The "poor and ignorant" vote
57 min 6 sec ago
- I agree with this and he
1 hour 14 min ago
1 hour 17 min ago